John Thurlbeck – our MD
A highly effective senior manager and consultant with 25 years senior strategic, operational and change/’turnaround’ management experience across the public sector and services to young people specifically. For the past 8 years, John has been a proactive OD consultant and interim manager, with strong thought leadership, training, organisational and coaching skills that develop people, teams and organisations. Previous substantive roles include Head of Youth Service [Manchester] and Head of Youth Development, inclusive of adult education, community development, play and youth work, [Sunderland]; he has successfully completed a number of assignments around Integrated Youth Support strategies and delivery of improved outcomes. Key experience, skills and achievements include:
- Specialising in vision and strategic direction, leadership and management of public sector services, often focused on work with young people, with significant experience of delivering budget reductions; organisational transformation in structural and performance terms, and integrated and collaborative delivery solutions.
- Strong experience of performance review and improvement of outputs, outcomes and impact; organisational cultural change; and bespoke workforce development programmes, especially building resilience, responsiveness to change, leadership and management development.
- Developing corporate strategy to underpin change he co-created, through consultation with a range of key strategic partners and stakeholders, including young people, a new Integrated Youth Support strategy to meet Borough Council objectives that replaced one which had been unsuccessful for the previous eighteen months.
- Defining corporate options for change he authored a detailed Options Appraisal for developing an effective Integrated Youth Support Service to meet the Government’s agenda.
- Delivering significant transformational change led significant performance improvement in the outcomes/impact of a large City Council service set against national performance measures; and, designed a new integrated working structure and delivery model, including a refreshed model for delivery by a dispersed part-time workforce.
- Developing the workforce – for the past two years this consultant has been lead associate for a nation-wide Government-sponsored leadership and management development programme for first line and middle managers from across services working with young people.
- As Head of the Youth Development Group for a large city council, he authored, led and delivered a £380,000 budget reduction re-aligning previously disparate services; and received a top Best Value award in the process.
- As Head of Youth Service for a large city council, he delivered budget reductions and rebuilt the public image of the Service and the trust placed in it by the Council’s elected members.
- Created the plan and began its implementation for transforming the Service from an autonomous body into an Integrated Youth Support Service model.
- Facilitated an 18% budget reduction for a large voluntary sector organisation through rebuilding its strategic focus; authoring its strategic plan, business plan, Options Appraisal and organisational change plan and implementing them.
John is a Fellow of the Royal Society for Arts, Manufactures and Commerce and a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute.
Recognised for great results, expertise and high integrity, he is inspirational and thrives on delivering complex projects that offer multiple benefits to the client and their stakeholders.